The Route of the Tin King – La Ruta del Rey del Estaño

Elvis Fuertes, El Potosi:

Infraestructuras que fueron testigos del auge del Estaño - Miraflores, UNCÍA.

Infraestructuras que fueron testigos del auge del Estaño – Miraflores, UNCÍA. Infrastructures that witnessed the tin boom – Miraflores, UNCÍA.

Interior de una pulpería en Catavi, quedó totalmente desbaratada. LLALLAGUA.

Interior de una pulpería en Catavi, quedó totalmente desbaratada. LLALLAGUA. | Interior of a grocery store in Catavi, was completely destroyed. LLALLAGUA.

Mina Siglo XX.

Mina [Mine] Siglo XX.

Monumento al Minero revolucionario y el Teatro de los Trabajadores Mineros, Siglo XX.

Monumento al Minero revolucionario y el Teatro de los Trabajadores Mineros, Siglo XX. Monument to the Revolutionary Miner and the Theater of the Mining Workers, Siglo XX.

Teatro Simón I. Patiño, Catavi.

Teatro [Theater] Simón I. Patiño, Catavi.

Vagones varados que quedan como testimonio del auge del estaño que vivió el Campamento Catavi .

Vagones varados que quedan como testimonio del auge del estaño que vivió el Campamento Catavi. | Stranded wagons that remain as a testimony to the tin boom that Camp Catavi experienced.

Vista del barrio de Miraflores y la Torre del Palacio de Patiño, UNCÍA.

Vista del barrio de Miraflores y la Torre del Palacio de Patiño, UNCÍA. | View of the Miraflores neighborhood and the Patiño Palace Tower, UNCÍA.

On the occasion of Labor Day, we present an article by Elvis Fuertes that shows a facet of northern Potosí linked to production.

Uncía and Llallagua, both in the Rafael Bustillos province of the department of Potosí, are two cities that share the same history based on mining and the heyday of tin. They are silent witnesses of the excessive tin exploitation of the 20th century whose mines are still exploited by cooperatives but the mining mills, camps, grocery stores, theaters and other constructions suffer from abandonment in which time takes its toll on them, but they can be projected to be part of a tourist route.

When the Spaniard Juan del Valle arrived in 1557 at the site where Uncía is today, infected by the entrepreneurial enthusiasm of finding a silver deposit similar to Cerro Rico de Potosí, he began exploration work in the Cordillera de Espiritu Santo by opening a sinkhole in whose Inside he only found tin, a mineral that had no value in the 16th century, so he decided to call the place Uncía, which in Latin means “insignificant value”. Three centuries later, in 1892, Simón Iturri Patiño made the greatest discovery of post-Republican mining that would change his own history and that of our country, becoming one of the most powerful and influential men of his time. Together with Carlos Víctor Aramayo and Mauricio Hochschild, of German origin, they were known as the “Tin Barons”, the three characters had a lot of political influence in Bolivia until the 1952 Revolution, the year in which the mining companies were nationalized.

The vast mining historiography that encompasses the towns of Siglo XX, Catavi, Llallagua, Uncía and the Miraflores neighborhood makes it possible to propose a tourist product involving both municipalities: it is the so-called “Route of the Tin King” that shows the historical facts of the Tin mining companies, at the end of the 19th century, such as the “Empresa Minera Uncía de John B. Minchin” and “La Salvadora” de Patiño, located in Uncía, integrate a wide heritage in the region. Patiño will be able to buy Minchin, expanding his business coverage, in addition to the “Llallagua Estañifera Company”, a Chilean company that entered the country in 1906, completing the mining complexes of which in posterity Patiño will also be able to obtain all the shares in July 1924. For that year, he was the sole owner of the Uncía and Llallagua mines. With both deposits constituted as part of his property, he formed the “Empresa Patiño Mines & Enterprises Consolidated Incorporated”, also acquiring the Machacamarca – Uncía Railway.

Uncía is fortunate to have one of the palaces in which Patiño lived with his family, a construction of eclectic, neoclassical architecture with a three-story tower. The luxurious property, in addition to the camps for mining workers, mills, lifts, locomotives and the Diesel Plant, allowed an excessive growth of that city at the beginning of the 20th century, being the most prosperous in the north of Potosí. The year of 1921, the number of the population amounted to more than 40 thousand inhabitants.

After the creation of the Patiño Mines mining company in 1924, the entire Miraflores de Uncía neighborhood was dismantled and its facilities were transferred to Catavi, in Llallagua. The same thing happened with the lifts that were reinstalled in Siglo XX, the management, the administration and the hospital were removed because Patiño consolidated new housing for the workers and they were located in Siglo XX, Catavi and Cancañiri.

Siglo XX was a mining workers camp while Catavi was the administrative management area, a citadel inhabited by foreign workers; in fact, the management office is the most luxurious: there is the pulpería and the Simón I. Patiño Theater, a building that was once the site where the films of the moment were premiered, in Siglo XX there are also two theaters: that of the Mining Workers and the October 31. Every corner of these camps has a story to tell, like those vast plains near Catavi where golf, a popular European sport among foreign workers, was played.

Uncía is 320 km away and Llallagua is 327 km away from the city of Potosí. If you want to get to both cities, it is recommended to take the section that joins the towns of Ventilla, cross Macha, Pocoata, Chuquiuta until you reach Uncía and Llallagua. The route is paved, with the exception of a route of 8 km between Ventilla and Ventilla intersection that is in full construction; the road section called diagonal Jaime Mendoza provides great ease to reach the north of Potosí.

Con motivo del Día del Trabajo, le presentamos un artículo de Elvis Fuertes que muestra una faceta del norte potosino vinculada a la producción.

Uncía y Llallagua, ambos en la provincia Rafael Bustillos del departamento de Potosí, son dos ciudades que comparten una misma historia basada en la minería y el apogeo del estaño. Son testigos mudos de la explotación estannífera desmedida del siglo XX cuyas minas aún son explotadas por cooperativistas pero los ingenios mineros, campamentos, pulperías, teatros y demás construcciones sufren un abandono en el que el tiempo les pasa factura, pero pueden proyectarse a ser parte de una ruta turística.

Cuando el español Juan del Valle llegó en 1557 al sitio donde hoy se encuentra Uncía, contagiado por el entusiasmo emprendedor de encontrar un yacimiento de plata parecido al Cerro Rico de Potosí, inició labores de exploración en la Cordillera de Espíritu Santo abriendo un socavón en cuyo interior sólo encontró estaño, un mineral que no tenía valor alguno en el siglo XVI, por lo que decidió llamar al lugar como Uncía, que en latín significa “ínfimo valor”. Tres siglos después, en 1892, Simón Iturri Patiño realizaba el descubrimiento más grande de la minería post republicana que cambiaría su propia historia y la de nuestro país, convirtiéndose en uno de los hombres más poderosos e influyentes de su época. Junto a Carlos Víctor Aramayo y Mauricio Hochschild, de origen alemán, fueron conocidos como los “Barones del Estaño”, los tres personajes tuvieron mucha influencia política en Bolivia hasta la Revolución del 1952, año en el que se nacionalizaron las empresas mineras.

La vasta historiografía minera que encierra a las poblaciones de Siglo XX, Catavi, Llallagua, Uncía y el barrio de Miraflores permite plantear un producto turístico involucrando a ambos municipios: es la denominada “Ruta del Rey del Estaño” que muestra los hechos históricos de las empresas mineras de estaño, a fines del siglo XIX, como la “Empresa Minera Uncía de John B. Minchin” y “La Salvadora” de Patiño, ubicados en Uncía, integran un amplio patrimonio en la región. Patiño logrará comprar a Minchin, ampliando su cobertura empresarial, además de la “Compañía Estañífera Llallagua”, una empresa chilena que ingresó al país en 1906, completan los complejos mineros de los que en la posteridad Patiño también logrará obtener todas las acciones en julio de 1924. Para ese año, él fue el único propietario de las minas de Uncía y Llallagua. Con ambos yacimientos constituidos como parte de su propiedad, formó la “Empresa Patiño Mines & Enterprises Consolidated Incorporated”, adquiriendo además el Ferrocarril Machacamarca – Uncía.

Uncía tiene la dicha de contar con uno de los palacios en las que habitó Patiño junto a su familia, una construcción de arquitectura ecléctica, neoclásica con una torre de tres plantas. El lujoso inmueble además de los campamentos para trabajadores mineros, ingenios, andariveles, locomotoras y la Planta Diésel, permitió un crecimiento desmedido de esa ciudad a inicios del siglo XX, siendo la más próspera del norte potosino. El año de 1921, el número de la población ascendió a más de 40 mil habientes.

A partir de la creación de la minera Patiño Mines en 1924, todo el barrio de Miraflores de Uncía fue desmantelado y sus dependencias fueron trasladadas a Catavi, en Llallagua. Lo mismo sucedió con los andariveles que se reinstalaron en Siglo XX, la gerencia, la administración y el hospital fueron removidos debido a que Patiño consolidó nuevas viviendas para los trabajadores y fueron emplazados en Siglo XX, Catavi y Cancañiri.

Siglo XX fue un campamento de trabajadores mineros mientras que Catavi fue el área de manejo administrativo, una ciudadela en la que habitaron trabajadores extranjeros; de hecho, la oficina gerencial es la más lujosa: ahí se encuentra la pulpería y el Teatro Simón I. Patiño, un inmueble que en su momento fue el sitio donde se estrenaban los films del momento, en Siglo XX también están dos teatros: el de los Trabajadores Mineros y el 31 de Octubre. Cada rincón de estos campamentos tiene una historia que contar, como esos amplios pampones cerca de Catavi en la que se jugaba golf, un deporte europeo popular entre los trabajadores foráneos.

Uncía se encuentra a 320 Km y Llallagua a 327 Km de distancia de la ciudad de Potosí. Si se desea llegar a ambas ciudades, se recomienda tomar el tramo que une a las poblaciones de Ventilla, cruce Macha, Pocoata, Chuquiuta hasta arribar a Uncía y Llallagua. El trayecto se encuentra asfaltado, a excepción de un recorrido de 8 km entre Ventilla y cruce Ventilla que se encuentra en plena construcción; el tramo carretero denominado diagonal Jaime Mendoza otorga una gran facilidad para llegar al norte potosino.

https://elpotosi.net/cultura/20220501_la-ruta-del-rey-del-estano.html

Published by Bolivian Thoughts

Senior managerial experience on sustainable development projects.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: