Independence war: Francisco de Paula Sanz

Correo del Sur:

Francisco de Paula Sanz, el realista que acabó bajo un pelotón en Potosí

ADMINISTRADOR. Francisco de Paula Sanz, fue Gobernador Intendente de Potosí. | ADMINISTRATOR. Francisco de Paula Sanz, was Mayor Governor of Potosí. | AYUNTAMIENTO DE CARTAGENA


Francisco de Paula Sanz, the royalist who ended up under a platoon in Potosí

He acted rigorously in the repression of the movements for the Independence of Upper Peru

Francisco de Paula Sanz was without a doubt another of the protagonists of the independence process of the territories of Upper Peru. He was the royalist governor of Potosí when the troops of the Argentine auxiliary army arrived in the territories of today’s Bolivia to consolidate the emancipation process, which, however, would suffer a strong setback by the counterrevolution led by José Manuel de Goyeneche in 1810.

Apart from his skills as an efficient administrator, Sanz was also considered a balanced and even charitable man. His execution, ordered by the Argentine General Juan José Castelli, was considered unfair at the time, because, despite being part of the colonial administration, his figure was widely respected by Upper Peruvian society. The liberating army of the south considered him responsible for the repression of the Revolution of May 25, 1809, and especially of the Tuitive Board formed in La Paz on July 16 of that year, where they were ordered under his command, multiple executions.

De Paula Sanz was born in Malaga, Spain, in July 1745. Before being sent to hold administrative positions in the Viceroyalty of the Río de La Plata and in the Royal Court of Charcas, he held a series of functions in Spain.

His mission in the American provinces began in 1777, when he was appointed director of the Tobacco Revenue of the newly created Viceroyalty of the Río de La Plata, being named director of the Tobacco Revenue. In exercise of that position, he undertook his first expeditions to the territories of the Viceroyalty. In the second of them, which began on December 7, 1779, he toured the provinces of Córdoba, Santiago del Estero, Tucumán, Catamarca, La Rioja and Mendoza (today Argentina) for a year and a half, to later cross the Cordillera de los Andes and visit Santiago de Chile, Valparaíso and Arica. He later went to the provinces of the Royal Court of Charcas, even exploring “the forest area of ​​Santa Cruz de la Sierra”, according to the chronicles kept in the Archivo de Indias in Spain. That mission would conclude back in Buenos Aires in 1781.

It is affirmed that during his travels he obtained “a direct knowledge of the River Plate Provinces that very few agents of the Crown had”. His work in the Directorate of Tobacco Income on April 23, 1780 earned him the distinction of supernumerary knight of the Order of Carlos III.


Between 1780 and 1787, Sanz remained in Buenos Aires occupying important administrative positions of the Crown, but during that period he maintained permanent differences with the viceroys because of his views on the administration of the colonial territories.

During 1787 he maintained an interdict with the Cabildo of Buenos Aires for the term of office of the mayor of the first vote, which Sanz estimated should be two years instead of one according to the Royal Ordinance of Mayors. The Cabildo, with the support of the Royal Audience and the Viceroy, finally obtained the royal concession to maintain one-year mandates for a position that they considered extremely burdensome.

His appointment as Governor of the rich mining province of Potosí took place in 1788, replacing Juan del Pino Manrique Lara. The chronicles indicate that he stood out for his determined support for charitable works and houses of mercy during his mandate and his measures to favor the activity of the missions, but it was the question of the mines and the work of the mita that characterized his long management in Potosi.


As governor of Potosí, Sanz studied the mining situation with the help of miners with the aim of implementing a policy aimed at modernizing the Potosí mining structure, favoring tenants, reforming and revitalizing the mita system and ensuring the adoption of improvements in technique.

A technical mission headed by Baron Nordenflicht was sent to Potosí and Peru, in order to improve mineral amalgamation techniques and increase production with less labor, particularly Potosí silver. The scientific mission arrived in Potosí in January 1789.

The recommendations of Nordenflicht and his team emphasized, in addition to the grinding machinery used until then in the mills, the incorporation of ovens to calcine the material and rotating barrels in which the incorporation of mercury into the ore would be favored and accelerated by heat. .

  • With data from: The Chuquisaca Uprisings, by Emilio Bidondo; History of General Güemes by Bernardo Frías and Wikipedia


De Paula Sanz also had conflicts with the clergy. The abuses committed by the Church of Upper Peru in the perception of first fruits, oblations and alms gave rise to the civil authorities reproaching them for forced distributions and that in 1796 Sanz, also driven by the opposition of the clergy to his policy to expand the mita in Chayanta, he proposed various means to abolish them.

Witness and actor of the revolutionary uprisings of 1809 in Upper Peru

Francisco de Paula Sanz was a witness and actor in the repression of the Chuquisaca Revolution of May 25, 1809 and of the movement promoted by the Tuitive Board of La Paz in July of that year.

His performance began on May 25 when, in the face of public commotion, the president of the Royal Court of Charcas, Ramón García Pizarro, ordered him to mobilize his troops to Chuquisaca. Sanz marched with troops on Chuquisaca in aid of the president, while Álvarez de Arenales organized the defense by forming the militias in Yamparáez with nine infantry companies organized by the trades of its members. However, the Audiencia de Charcas ordered Paula Sanz to go back with his troops and he obeyed.

Sanz acted quickly and decisively: he decided to ignore the government of the Audiencia de Charcas and preventively quartered the militia battalion. He then ordered the first arrests of the revolutionaries involved in the coup, both military and civilian. He placed himself under the orders of the Viceroy of Peru José Fernando de Abascal, who had promoted the creation of a counterrevolutionary army headed by General José Manuel de Goyeneche. When the revolution broke out on July 16 in La Paz, Sanz decided to march on Chuquisaca while the troops of the Viceroyalty were heading over the territory of La Paz. Meanwhile, Buenos Aires appointed Vicente Nieto as the new president of the Real Audiencia de Charcas to replace the deposed García Pizarro.

Despite not being part of his jurisdiction, Abascal, fearful that the revolutionary movement that reached his borders would spread to the provinces of Puno, Arequipa and Cuzco, decided not to wait for a definition from Buenos Aires and immediately began raising an army and suppression of rebellion

One of Sanz’s tasks was to contain the advance of the patriotic troops sent from Buenos Aires at the head of Juan José Castelli.

Meanwhile, the spark of the May Revolution had spread in Upper Peru to other provinces. After an initial stumble against royalist fortified positions in the Battle of Cotagaita, on November 7, 1810, the patriot forces won their first victory in the battle of Suipacha. When the news of the defeat reached him, Nieto destroyed the fortifications in Cotagaita and with the parish priest of Tupiza and some officers he tried to flee but was captured in Lípez. A party went out in search of the prisoner, made up of soldiers from the patrician companies that Nieto had sent to work in the Potosí mining gallery four months earlier.


Sanz delayed his departure from Potosí. On November 10, a letter from the member of the Board of Buenos Aires, Juan José Castelli, arrived in the city announcing his imminent arrival and ordering the town hall to arrest the governor. The news quickly spread in Potosí and the mutinous people asked for an open council.

Vicente Nieto, José de Córdoba and Rojas and Sanz were detained in the Potosí Mint House for a month. Days later Castelli arrived in Potosí. Judged at the General Headquarters of Potosí, on December 14, 1810, “the aforementioned Sanz, Nieto and Córdoba, as prisoners of high treason, usurpation and public disturbance even with violence and armed hand, were sentenced to suffer the death penalty.”

On December 15, 1810, at 10 in the morning, they were put on their knees in the atrium of the Main Church in front of the Plaza Mayor and shot. Sanz received a second shock when showing signs of life. For a few hours his body remained with the others exposed to public view until he was claimed by the Nuns of the Monastery of Carmen, who buried him in the temple of the Convent.


Francisco de Paula Sanz, el realista que acabó bajo un pelotón en Potosí

Actuó con rigor en la represión de los movimientos por la Independencia del Alto Perú

Francisco de Paula Sanz fue sin duda otro de los protagonistas del proceso de Independencia de los territorios del Alto Perú. Era el gobernador realista de Potosí cuando las tropas del ejército auxiliar argentino llegaron a los territorios de la hoy Bolivia para consolidar el proceso emancipador, el cual, no obstante, sufriría un fuerte revés por parte de la contrarrevolución encabezada por José Manuel de Goyeneche en 1810.

Aparte de sus dotes de eficiente administrador, Sanz era considerado también un hombre equilibrado y hasta caritativo. Su ejecución, ordenada por el general argentino Juan José Castelli, fue considerada injusta en su momento, pues, a pesar de formar parte de la administración colonial, su figura era ampliamente respetada por la sociedad altoperuana. El ejército libertador del sur lo consideró responsable de la represión de la que fue objeto la Revolución del 25 de Mayo de 1809, y en especial de la Junta Tuitiva formada en La Paz el 16 de julio de ese año, donde se ordenaron bajo su mando varias ejecuciones.

De Paula Sanz había nacido en Málaga, España, en julio de 1745. Antes de ser enviado para ocupar cargos administrativos en el Virreinato del Río de La Plata y en la Real Audiencia de Charcas ocupó una serie de funciones en España.

Su misión en las provincias americanas comenzó en 1777, cuando fue designado director de la Renta de Tabaco del recién creado Virreinato del Río de La Plata, siendo nombrado director de la Renta del Tabaco. En ejercicio de ese cargo, emprendió sus primeras expediciones a los territorios del Virreinato. En la segunda de ellas, que comenzó el 7 de diciembre de 1779, recorrió a lo largo de un año y medio las provincias de Córdoba, Santiago del Estero, Tucumán, Catamarca, La Rioja y Mendoza (hoy Argentina), para luego cruzar la Cordillera de los Andes y visitar Santiago de Chile, Valparaíso y Arica. Luego pasó a las provincias de la Real Audiencia de Charcas, llegando inclusive a explorar “la zona forestal de Santa Cruz de la Sierra”, según las crónicas guardadas en el Archivo de Indias en España. Esa misión concluiría de retorno en Buenos Aires en 1781.

Se afirma que durante sus viajes obtuvo “un conocimiento directo de las Provincias rioplatenses que muy pocos agentes de la Corona tuvieron”. Su labor en la Dirección de la Renta del Tabaco el 23 de abril de 1780 le valió la distinción de caballero supernumerario de la Orden de Carlos III.


Entre 1780 y 1787, Sanz permaneció en Buenos Aires ocupando importantes cargos administrativos de la Corona, pero en ese período mantuvo permanentes diferencias con los virreyes a causa de sus puntos de vista sobre la administración de los territorios coloniales.

Durante 1787 mantuvo un entredicho con el Cabildo de Buenos Aires por la duración del mandato del alcalde de primer voto, que Sanz estimaba debía ser de dos años en vez de uno de acuerdo a la Real Ordenanza de Intendentes. El Cabildo, con el apoyo de la Real Audiencia y del virrey obtuvo finalmente la concesión real de mantener mandatos de un año para un cargo que consideraban en extremo gravoso.

Su nombramiento como Gobernador de la rica provincia minera de Potosí se produjo en 1788, en reemplazo de Juan del Pino Manrique Lara. Las crónicas señalan que se destacó por su decidido apoyo a las obras de caridad y casas de misericordia durante su mandato y sus medidas para favorecer la actividad de las misiones, pero fue la cuestión de las minas y el trabajo de mita lo que caracterizaron su larga gestión en Potosí.


Siendo gobernador de Potosí, Sanz estudió la situación de la minería con la ayuda de mineros con el objetivo de implementar una política tendiente a la modernización de la estructura minera potosina, favoreciendo a los arrendatarios, reformando y revitalizando el sistema de mita y asegurando la adopción de mejoras en la técnica.

Una misión técnica encabezada por el barón Nordenflicht fue enviada a Potosí y al Perú, con objeto de mejorar las técnicas de amalgamación de minerales y aumentar la producción con menor mano de obra, particularmente la plata de Potosí. La misión científica llegó a Potosí en enero de 1789.

Las recomendaciones de Nordenflicht y su equipo hicieron hincapié en, además de las maquinarias de molienda usadas hasta entonces en los ingenios, incorporar hornos para calcinar el material y barriles giratorios en los que la incorporación del mercurio al mineral se vería favorecida y acelerada por el calor.

* Con datos de: Los Levantamientos de Chuquisaca, de  Emilio Bidondo; Historia del General Güemes de Bernardo Frías y Wikipedia


De Paula Sanz también tuvo conflictos con el clero. Los abusos que cometía la Iglesia del Alto Perú en la percepción de primicias, oblaciones y limosnas dio lugar a que las autoridades civiles los reprocharan de repartimientos forzosos y que en 1796 Sanz, impulsado también por la oposición del clero a su política para ampliar la mita en Chayanta, propuso diversos medios para abolirlos.

Testigo y actor de los levantamientos revolucionarios de 1809 en el Alto Perú

Francisco de Paula Sanz fue testigo y actor en la represión de la Revolución de Chuquisaca del 25 de mayo de 1809 y del movimiento que impulsó la Junta Tuitiva de La Paz en julio de ese año.

Su actuación se inició el 25 de mayo cuando ante la conmoción pública, el presidente de la Real Audiencia de Charcas, Ramón García Pizarro, le ordenó movilizar sus tropas a Chuquisaca. Sanz marchó con tropas sobre Chuquisaca en auxilio del presidente, mientras Álvarez de Arenales organizaba la defensa formando las milicias en Yamparáez con nueve compañías de infantería organizadas por los oficios de sus miembros. Sin embargo, la Audiencia de Charcas ordenó a Paula Sanz que retrocediera con sus tropas y éste obedeció. 

Sanz actuó con rapidez y decisión: resolvió desconocer el gobierno de la Audiencia de Charcas y preventivamente acuarteló al batallón de milicias. Ordenó entonces las primeras detenciones de los revolucionarios implicados en la asonada, tanto militares como civiles. Se puso a órdenes del Virrey del Perú José Fernando de Abascal, quien había promovido la creación de un ejército contrarrevolucionario encabezado por el general José Manuel de Goyeneche. Al estallar la revolución de 16 de julio en La Paz, Sanz decidió marchar sobre Chuquisaca mientras las tropas del Virreinato se dirigían sobre el territorio paceño. Entretanto, Buenos Aires nombraba a Vicente Nieto como nuevo presidente de la Real Audiencia de Charcas en reemplazo del depuesto García Pizarro.

Pese a no integrar su jurisdicción, Abascal, temeroso de que el movimiento revolucionario que alcanzaba sus fronteras se propagase a las provincias de Puno, Arequipa y Cuzco, resolvió no esperar una definición de Buenos Aires e iniciar de inmediato el levantamiento de un ejército y la represión de la rebelión

Una de las tareas de Sanz fue la de contener el avance de las tropas patriotas enviadas desde Buenos Aires a la cabeza de Juan José Castelli. 

Entretanto, la chispa de la Revolución de mayo se había extendido en el Alto Perú a otras provincias.Tras un traspié inicial frente a las posiciones fortificadas realistas en el Combate de Cotagaita, el 7 de noviembre de 1810 las fuerzas patriotas obtuvieron su primera victoria en la batalla de Suipacha. Al llegarle la noticia de la derrota, Nieto destruyó las fortificaciones en Cotagaita y con el párroco de Tupiza y algunos oficiales intentó huir pero fue capturado en Lípez. Una partida salió en búsqueda del prisionero, formada por soldados de las compañías de patricios que Nieto había mandado a trabajar en el socavón de Potosí cuatro meses antes.


Sanz demoró su salida de Potosí. El 10 de noviembre llegó a la ciudad un oficio del vocal de la Junta de Buenos Aires Juan José Castelli anunciando su inminente arribo y ordenando al cabildo el apresamiento del gobernador. La noticia cundió rápidamente en Potosí y el pueblo amotinado pidió cabildo abierto.

Vicente Nieto, José de Córdoba y Rojas y Sanz quedaron detenidos en la Casa de la Moneda de Potosí durante un mes.  Días después llegó a Potosí Castelli. Juzgados en el Cuartel general de Potosí, el 14 de diciembre de 1810 se condenó “a los referidos Sanz, Nieto y Córdoba, como reos de alta traición, usurpación y perturbación pública hasta con violencia y mano armada, a sufrir la pena de muerte”.

El 15 de diciembre de 1810, a las 10 de la mañana, fueron puestos de rodillas en el atrio de la Iglesia Matriz frente a la Plaza Mayor y fusilados. Sanz recibió una segunda descarga al dar señales de vida. Por algunas horas su cadáver permaneció junto a los otros expuesto a la vista del público hasta que fue reclamado por las Monjas del Monasterio del Carmen, las que le dieron sepultura en el templo del Convento.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s